Thursday, May 14, 2009

Inspiration from a Boy Reader


It has been way too long since I have posted. Sorry! I normally write about books I have read or what they boys are reading for book club, but this post is different. One of my boy readers is quite a young man. He is a bookaholic, an awesome soccer goalie, a spaz that can’t sit still, a swimmer, you get the picture. A normal nine year old, however, this one has a soul and since of justice far larger then most adults.

A few months ago he asked me if he could do his independent project on marriage equality and equal protection. Big issues for a third grader, but it is my job to support their passions. He wanted to plan a rally and do a report. Of course I thought he meant a little rally in front of the school for a few students and teachers. Nope! He wanted it at the State Capitol. This Saturday is the rally. He arranged speakers, obtained the proper permits, and even inspired a film company to do a mini-documentary on him. We have no idea what the turn out will be, but given that it is posted on many sites in the Denver area I imagine it will be bigger then a few students and teachers.
The picture is of Ethan asking Senator Bennett for support!

No comments: