Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Reluctant Trout and The Reluctant Reader


The angler enters the fly shop giddy with anticipation of what new flies will be found. The angler asks “What are they biting? What do you suggest?” The shop keeper replies with “Well, I hear that some are biting the streamers and wet flies on the rivers. The dry flies are working at the ponds, but you could also try the nymphs.” The angler ponders the choices. I do have some great streamers, but it doesn’t hurt to try something new. I always have luck with nymphs. Let me see what the hatch is. “Excuse me. What is the hatch? Any good nymphs I should try?”

After spending time and a lot of money in the fly shop the angler heads out to the find the perfect spot to try out the new flies. The angler spends time preparing the rod, putting on the correct strike indicator and weights. After getting into the waders the angler slowly enters the rushing river and prepares to catch a trout. After awhile the angler tries a different fly. You can see that the perseverance will pay off and a trout will be caught.

The teacher enters the book shop giddy with anticipation of what new books will be found. The teacher asks “What are they reading? What do you suggest?” The shop keeper replies with “Well, I hear great things about this new series by… These new non fiction books are engaging, but you could try the graphic novels.” The teacher ponders the choices. I do have some great graphic novels, but it doesn’t hurt to try something new. I always have luck with books by…. Let me see what the best sellers are? “Excuse me. Any good series I should try?”

After spending time and a lot of money in the book shop the teacher heads out to read the perfect book. The teacher spends time reading the books, thinking of the correct questions. After getting the plans ready the teacher slowly enters the classroom and prepares to catch a student. After awhile the teacher tries a different book. You can see that the perseverance will pay off and student will be caught.


Last week I spent a few days with my dad and brother fly fishing near Crested Butte. Truthfully, I spent most of my time reading. I think I used up all my patience during the year, so trying to catch a trout was very challenging for me. One morning we tried to catch some trout at the base of the Taylor Reservoir. It was a beautiful spot. The river had many crystal clear pools. It was easy to see and count the fish. As I stood there trying to get my line in correctly about six fish just stared at me. (Ok, not really but there were six fish right in front of me.) They had no interest in what I was doing. I realized that the angler is very similar to a reading teaching. We both spend hours trying to get the reluctant trout and reluctant reader to bite. We DO NOT give up. When they strike and take the hook we are elated. We can’t wait to share our successes. I can honestly tell you I would rather spend my day trying to catch the reluctant reader, but spending a few days in the Rocky Mountains with family and a good book is a great way to start the summer.




Now it is off to do more pre-painting prework. Fun times house painting.

6 comments:

Carol said...

Great comparison Kyle! So true!

I will trade you prepainting for premoving!

Mary Lee said...

Excellent analogy!

I'll trade you soggy Ohio for Crested Butte!!!

Patrick A. Allen said...

My father-in-law is a fishing guide! It's his passion that brings his gifts to his clients... and a lot of patience. Montana, great fishing!

CoffeeShopBloggers said...

It does take a cagey teacher or parent to hook their reluctant reader but is well worth the patient effort.

I also found a great post on Top 10: Ways to Make Reading Fun at http://www.pragmaticmom.com/?p=7640

Pragmatic Mom
Type A Parenting for the Modern World

http://PragmaticMom.com
I blog on parenting, education and children's lit

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

So, so jealous of that gorgeous view! (we used to live in Nederland, CO, and I miss it still)

I love your analogy. I've seen a couple posts lately about reluctant readers, and I'm going to post about them tommorrow.

Thanks again for stopping by Ink Spells! :)

Peaceful Reader said...

Love your analogy! As the mother of a teenage flyfisherman I've spent hours reading by streams while he enjoys his day catching and releasing. Glad you got some reading done in such a beautiful setting.