Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Squish Super Amoeba by Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm


The more kids books I read the more I think, “Why wasn’t this around when I was a kid?” and I don’t mean color TV.  This morning I read Super Amoeba by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm.  A little background about Squish:  it is a spin off of Babymouse.  I have tried to get boys to read Babymouse.  Even though it is a graphic novel it is PINK, so very few boys will touch it.  Thankfully, brother and sister graphic novel team Jennifer and Matthew Holm have introduced a new graphic novel that will appeal to boy humor.  The main character is a dork like most of us.  He gets suckered into giving his best friend his lunch money, ending up it trouble, reading comics (OH NO!!!), and saving the world from the bully. 

The shapeless illustrations (come on the characters are amoebas), the simple colors and great lines, “Dude, don’t eat it!” right before Squish eats the tuna fish sandwich will make this graphic novel a hit in my class.  With so few days left in the school year it will be fun to bring in a fantastic new book.

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I'll definitely take a look. Have you seen the Ursula Vernon Dragonbreath books? Those are really hysterical.