Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Alex Van Helsing Voice of the Undead by Jason Henderson

The other day I was going through my stack of books figuring out what to read next when I pulled out Alex Van Helsing Voice of the Undead by Jason Henderson.  A couple of items caught my eye.  First, the publicity firm is in Marblehead, so I figured wow another Mass connection.  Secondly, the back made me laugh “NO SPARKLY VAMPIRES HERE!”  As I read the press release and back I thought why not give it a try?   Normally I don’t read the second book in a series if I haven’t read the first one.  It is hard enough keeping up with books, so unless a student recommends it I tend to shy away from them.  But like I said this one perked my interest. 

Truth be told I enjoy watching mindless TV.  I find it reduces the brain waves during a hectic week, so I must admit that I enjoy True Blood and a few shows on USA Network.  Now before I continue I want to be perfectly clear.  I REALLY enjoyed Alex Van Helsing. I quickly became engrossed in the story, and plan on reading the first one.  It is better written than White Collar or shows on SyFy, but I couldn’t help comparing it to some shows.  Mr. Henderson please understand what I am about to write I mean as a good thing.  Picture Buffy the Vampire Slayer (change the name to Alex) meets Nakita (without Section being evil, and change the name to Alex) meets Covert Affairs and you have a fun read; andpossible Guys Read Book Club book.

The story is about Alex Van Helsing.  A young man sent to a boarding school in Austria.  During his first month he finds out he can fight vampires.  The vampires have their hideout under Lake Geneva.  How cool is that?

The story is fast paced.  Great vocabulary.  I needed to look up a couple of words.  Focus on world issues, and it takes place in Europe.  The press release and book says that it is for ages 12 and up.  I would say 10 and up.  There are some intense scenes and possible questions on why on earth parents would send their kids to a boarding school.  I know a few guys that will be excited to read this book.

Thanks harper Collins for the ARC.  Book to be released today!

6 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

You have great taste! The boys did love the first one. Well worth picking up!

Jason Henderson said...

Thank you for the fantastic review! It means a huge amount to me! If you have any questions at all just lob them at me.

Jason Henderson said...

Oh, and I'll add a tag so if there are responses I'll see them.

Readingjunky said...

Hello.
I would like to pass on the Liebster Blog Award. I enjoy following your blog and want to pass the news along.

RJ

Anonymous said...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer reborn??? When I send out query letters, "no sparkly vampires" is part of my pitch!!! I will have to read this book for that reason!

Jason Henderson said...

Thanks CW-G! Good luck with your submitting!