Sunday, March 9, 2014

Slice #2 The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith

I finished a novel!  I am proud of myself.  It has been months since I have read an adult novel from cover to cover. Lately it seemed challenging just getting through a middle grade chapter book.  I did have extra time.  However, surgery does weird things to you, so I actually couldn’t focus on a book until last Monday.  So, yup I read a novel.

The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith was a wonderful book to read while I was recuperating at home.  I realized that I’m not too good at figuring out mysteries, but boy are they fun.  Robin the temporary assistant was a great character.  It is funny how the assistant gets sucked in by the private eye’s charms. 

The funny thing about reading this book is that I wanted to look up the characters on Google to see what they looked like etc.  It is like watching a TV show or movie at home and an actor is on the screen and I can’t figure out what they were in before, so I go to IMBD to see the parts they have had.  Since they were fictional I couldn’t do it.  I mean, really, wouldn’t it be fun to look at a lot of pictures of Tansy?

There were numerous references to places in London, so I did start looking up those, which was fun.  I would love to have luncheon at the restaurant where Strike met John.  It is describe on line as the open book roof restaurant.  John actually, gets to go to all the cool places because the conference he “attended” used to be a prison, but has been converted to a hotel in which the cheapest room is $800 a night!


I realized on Friday that I really miss reading adult fiction, so I am going to be more assertive and make sure that I get a dose of grown up chapter book time.  I don’t want another surgery to give me a reason to read.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Thrilled that you are slicing! I love mysteries and this sounds like a good one! Your comments about wanting to look up the characters are so funny! Today I was listening to a Libba Bray audiobook. When I got home, I immediately had to look her up to see if she looked like I thought she would.

Michael G-G said...

Glad you are on the mend. I also need to read more adult books--and The Cuckoo's Calling is on the list.