Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Lightening Theif









The Guys Read Book Club met for the second time this past Wednesday. The boys were so excited to talk about The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan. It is amazing how a book gets a group of boys going. Most of them used Christmas money to buy the sequel.




Here a a couple of examples on how excited they really are about this book. First, a parent told me that her son told her that during lunch they are playing Lightening Thief. Each boy is a different character and they are reenacting the book. The mom is so excited about the club. The second example happened yesterday. I am doing a mid-year DRA2 on my students. I was testing a boy from the book club. He did his oral reading part (went from a DRA28 to a DRA38), and I sent him over to an area to finish the book and answer the questions. I look up and he is sneaking looks at a Greek Mythology book. How bad is it when a kid is reading a book during a reading test?


1 comment:

Carol said...

Kyle,
Just wanted you to know I read your blog this evening! I hope that we can be "blogging buddies" and figure this thing out together. It seems like you know more than I do-- I would love for you to teach me how to post book covers. Also how to make the font all stay in the same spacing.

You always do such a magnificent job engaging kids with books. I loved the story about the little guy stopping in the middle of his DRA to read.

It was great to see you today.
CAW