Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Third Grade List

I am very excited that The Invention of Hugo Cabret won the Caldacott. After looking at all the great list of books I decided to ask my third graders what their favorite books are. So here is their list:

  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid
  • Harry Potter (series)
  • The Lightening Thief (Percy Jackson series)
  • Bone
  • Rotten School
  • Captain Underpants (wow what a surprise!)
  • Narnia LWW (they said it was short for Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)
  • The Arrival (this one surprised me because no one has asked if it can be put in a book bag)
  • Goosebumps
  • Tales of the Crypt
  • The Simpson's

It is great to see such a range of books. A few are influenced by what I have brought into the classroom, but that is why I read the book blogs, the NY Times book review, and visit The Bookies. The more I bring in the more excited they become.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Kyle, I'm excited that you finally started a blog about boys reading - engaging the boys is something I struggle with myself!

Here are a few popular books in my second grade classroom this year:

Calvin and Hobbes
The Pigeon Books (Mo Willems!)
Elephant and Piggie Books (Mo Willems too!)
ANYTHING by Robert Munsch
and of course...
Walter the Farting Dog

I'm reading the BFG aloud right now and the boys are really into that. Roald Dahl had them at the "Wizzpopper" chapter!